Thursday, September 3, 2009

To Sweeten Or Not To Sweeten? Graham Cracker Crust

Just two days ago I finally made my first graham cracker crust. They are easy, I just never had the need to do it before.


Searching thru recipes I found that there is one major decision to make when choosing a recipe- to add sugar or not.


I decided on sugar, and quite a lot of it. The recipe I picked said to use 1/4 cup, but I confused it with another recipe I looked at that said 1/3 cup so thats how much sugar went into my crust. And some of the reviewers had already said 1/4 cup was too much!


But here is what I realized: YOU HAVE TO MATCH THE CRUST TO THE PIE.


I used this crust for Key Lime Pie (Posting on that to come). With a tart filling, the sweet crust was delicious. But, if I were using this for a sweeter pie like chocolate or peanut butter, this would have been way too much sugar and maybe even no sugar would be the best choice.


So here is the graham cracker pie crust recipe I will stick with (if you can call it a recipe).


1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (this was a little under half a box)

1/3 cup melted butter*

Mix together butter and crumbs

Taste- if it doesn't seem sweet enough for your pie add a little sugar and mix well

Taste- if it still doesn't seem sweet enough add a little more...

You get the idea


*(a trusted source said this should be salted butter but since I really only use butter for making pie I only keep unsalted around, so I just threw in a healthy pinch of salt and it came together fine)


Pack into pie pan (this will be enough crust for a deep pan). If your not using a deep pan and have leftovers I recommend getting out a spoon and eating them, they are quite tasty.


Bake ~7 min at 375.


No comments:

Post a Comment