Saturday, October 3, 2009

It's a Miracle! Microwaveable Milk Pie (Seriously, Microwaveable Pie!)

This is my first Tasty Kitchen pie recipe.

It made me think of some of my friends who, since staring this blog, have told me maybe I will inspire them to make a pie. And in particular one who said baking scares her. You can make this whole pie without ever turning on an oven. Or using the stove.

This Milk Pie was described by the person who posted it as being very light tasting, so I decided to put it in an Oreo cookie crust, and sprinkle some mini-chocolate-chips on top.

For the crust:

Mix 1 1/2 cups Oreo cookie crumbs and 4 Tbsp melted butter. Press into pan. Voila! You are finished! (I was actually a little nervous about this so I baked it for 5 min at 375. Alternatively, stick it in the freezer for 30 min before filling.)

For the filling:

2-1/4 cups Milk
1/2 cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1-1/4 Tbsp Flour
1-1/4 Tbsp Cornstarch
2-3 Tbsp mini-chocolate-chips, chilled in freezer.

Microwave milk 7 min.

Beat together sugar and eggs. Add flour and corntarch, beat until smooth and no lumps remain.

Add mixture to milk and beat until combined.

Microwave 1 min. Beat until smooth. Repeat until semi-thick. For me it took 5 more minutes.

Fill pie shell.

Sprinkle chips evenly across top of pie.

Chill in refrigerator until firm.

Warning: If you taste the milk mixture when filling pie shell, it will taste like warm milk. At this point I did not think it would make a very good pie filling. However, when it is all set it has a nice mild flavor and light custardy texture. I really like it and so did my co-workers.

Note: I am pretty sure this pie would turn out just fine made over the stove. I would suggest simply whisking together all ingredients until smooth and then heat over med heat until it is semi-thick, continuing to whisk constantly. And if anyone tries it this way, post a comment to let me know how it works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment