Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Good Enough To Be Dinner: Zucchini Almond Sauté

For most people this would constitute a side dish. I, however, consider this a perfect light dinner.


I have smitten kitchen to thank for this recipe. I have never prepared a recipe so soon after seeing it posted. But I absolutely love zucchini (seriously, I can barely cook anything without it. Not in the recipe? I will find a way to get it in).



It is a minimalist dish. You barely need anything to make it - zucchini, almond slices, and parmesan cheese.



And if I don't have it on hand, I often make it without the cheese. Still good, but with cheese is better. But thats no surprise since with cheese is ALWAYS better.


Anyway...getting back on track. Don't let this short list of simple ingredients fool you. There is sooo much flavor in this preparation.



Ingredients (all approximate):


2 medium zucchini

¼ cup sliced almonds

½ Tbsp olive oil

¼ cup shaved parmesan

salt

pepper



Method:


Heat oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over med-high heat.


While oil is heating slice your zucchini into matchsticks. I will show you how I like to do this not because I think you are dull, but because it quite honestly took me several tries to figure out a good way to do this.



When oil is hot, add almond slices to pan. Mix around to coat with oil, and heat until most pieces are golden brown and the nuts become fragrant.



Add zucchini to pan and toss with nuts. Add a bit of salt (I usually do about one turn on my grinder) and generously pepper.




Cook, tossing frequently, until zucchini just warms thru and softens slightly. It should still be somewhat firm and not completely translucent.


Transfer to bowl and top with parmesan. Serve (or eat) immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment