Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Lemon Pie, Keys Style



After missing the season last year, I am really trying to take advantage of meyer lemons while they are around. I made the Shaker Lemon Pie I had been waiting for so long to try but had a couple lemons left over when I was done. My first idea was to take a key lime pie recipe, and replace the key limes with meyer lemons.


Although I liked both of the Key Lime Pie's I made this summer, I decided to go with the egg yolk recipe because I didn't have any sour cream around.


I had 4 average sized meyer lemons on hand when I made this. They left me a little short on juice. I supplemented with some regular bottled lemon juice from my fridge and it was just a little so I don't think it made much difference but I would recommend having 5 or 6 on hand for this recipe.



Ingredients:


2 cans Sweetened Condensed Milk (14 oz each)


1 cup Meyer Lemon Juice


4 whole Egg Yolks (discard Whites)


1 teaspoon Lemon Zest



Prepared Graham Cracker Crust



1 Cup Whipped Cream (use stabilized whipped cream if you need to top it before serving)




Method:



Preheat oven to 350º. Beat egg yolk together with lemon juice and zest


Add the entire two cans of sweetened condensed milk and combine completely.




Fill prepared graham cracker shell. Note: I used my 9 ½ inch pie plate and it was pretty full, so you will probably have excess filling in a standard 9 inch plate.




Bake for about 5-10 minutes, until small bubbles appear in the custard. The top should not brown.



Serve alongside or top with whipped cream if desired.








This pie came out really well. It is not too tart and not too sweet, the kind of pie that can really be a crowd-pleaser. Since the recipe uses 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk it would probably doesn't require meyer lemons, and is worth giving a try with regular lemons.


But don't hold me to that yet. I will have to try it another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment