Thursday, January 28, 2010

Incredibly Good Sloppy Joes

I have developed a bit of a backlog.

I was un-inspired. I am learning to use Photoshop. Then my hard drive died. So I am gonna get back on track, starting with this quick recipe.

I am not one of these vegetarians who has learned to live without my favorite meat dishes. I am thankful everyday for fake meat. Unlike hamburgers, which was possibly my favorite meat food and I will miss forever and cannot be suitably replaced, sloppy joes made with veggie crumbles are indistinguishable from the real deal. I love not feeling deprived.

I love sloppy joes. NOT MANWHICH. The mixed yourself kind that are soooo much better, and really not hard enough to justify using the sauce out of a can.

This is the recipe I have been using. It'll make about 4 sandwhiches, depending on how much filling you use for each one. I actually have this recipe memorized.


1 lb ground beef or equivalent veggie crumbles

½ Tbsp oil (for veggie crumbles)

1/3 cup sweet yellow onion, diced

1/3 cup bell pepper (I like red), diced

¾ cup ketchup

1 Tbsp mustard

½ tsp garlic powder

3 tsp brown sugar

(and if you like a little spice add 1/2-1 tsp cayenne pepper, depending on how spicy you like them)


If using ground beef, brown in a large skillet with onion and pepper, drain an excess grease when it is cooked thru

OR

If using veggies crumbles heat oil in large skillet and cook peppers and onions until tender


Over medium heat add remaining ingredients (including veggie crumbles for vegetarian sloppy joes) and mix thoroughly. Heat until mixture is heated thru-out.

Serve on buns, with cheese if desired. I recommend toasting your buns, and I always buy onion buns for these.



If you want to make a cheesy sloppy joe, after much experimentation I recommend melting a cheese slice on the bottom half of the bun before adding the meat filling. Cheese on top tends to get lost in all the wonderful sloppy joe flavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment